DDD: Download an eBook of the Series

To save you lots of clicking backwards and forwards as each part of this series on Domain Driven Design appears, I am going to collate the posts along the way into a downloadable PDF format.

The parts so far can be downloaded from here

UPDATE: This link has now been changed to the new URL the elements of the series can be found on http://dddstepbystep.com

As the series develops, this file will be updated with the latest version, so should always remain current.

del.icio.us Tags: DDD,Domain Driven Design,Practices and Principles

Posted 02-15-2009 8:59 PM by Jak Charlton

Comments

Tim Barcz wrote re: DDD: Download an eBook of the Series
on 02-15-2009 4:07 PM

Very nice, thanks for doing this....and the series.

Michael Wallasch wrote re: DDD: Download an eBook of the Series
on 02-15-2009 4:46 PM

Great work. I'm looking forward to see the next posts. I would appreciate some pragmatic suggestions about paging and querying (especially in webapps), regardless the heated debate on the DDD group.

Tom Pester wrote re: DDD: Download an eBook of the Series
on 02-15-2009 5:12 PM

Hello Casey

I'm following your posts on DDD and I hope it will end with a sample application that's made with DDD in mind. I read the book of Evans and I can follow your argument that its a more a way of thinking thats a level higher than implementation but the fact is that I cannot find concrete code where the author says it's made with DDD principels in mind or, even better, the community says its a wonderfull application of DDD.

Where are those great DDD open source applications? Is DDD too young for this?

I know that DDD is just a bundling of good OO principles that are nothing new (Were aggregrate roots around before?)  and that a "DDD quality label" does not exist. Still, it would be usefull if there was an application that people could study and refere too.

Mark Nijhof wrote re: DDD: Download an eBook of the Series
on 02-15-2009 6:32 PM

Hi Casey,

This is great, something I can easily handout to my college's. Keep up the good work.

-Mark

Jak Charlton wrote re: DDD: Download an eBook of the Series
on 02-15-2009 9:07 PM

@Michael

I hope to cover this in a post about UI interactions and bounded contexts for reporting

@Tom

I'm still struggling to come up with the right sample app. There is one sample app, but it doesn't show much and is in Java. The problems with a sample app are:

1) DDD is suited to in-house software, most demo stuff or stuff people could be interested in is ISV style

2) DDD is suited to large applciations, so small scale doesn't show a lot of the benefits

3) A really well written DDD app will look really similar to a well done OOP app, just with DDD patterns (a large part of DDD is about interaction with domain experts and users to evolve the UL, the contexts, the entities, etc)

But ... all that said ... I am intending to start with some concrete examples at least - perhaps they will form a larger whole

@Mark

Thanks - plugging them out as fast as time allows ... and allowing a bit of time for people to read them all

Adam A wrote re: DDD: Download an eBook of the Series
on 02-15-2009 9:12 PM

This is great! Thank you

Jak Charlton wrote re: DDD: Download an eBook of the Series
on 02-15-2009 9:19 PM

@Tim, @Adam

Thought it was getting a bit unwieldy as only blog posts - hopefully the eBook will help

Reflective Perspective - Chris Alcock » The Morning Brew #287 wrote Reflective Perspective - Chris Alcock » The Morning Brew #287
on 02-16-2009 3:37 AM

Pingback from  Reflective Perspective - Chris Alcock  » The Morning Brew #287

DotNetKicks.com wrote DDD: Download an eBook of the Series
on 02-16-2009 5:03 AM

You've been kicked (a good thing) - Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

Casey Charlton - Insane World wrote DDD: Aggregates and Aggregate Roots
on 02-16-2009 9:51 AM

Download the eBook of the Series so far … We are family I got all my sisters with me Sister Sledge Some

Community Blogs wrote DDD: Aggregates and Aggregate Roots
on 02-16-2009 10:30 AM

Al Gonzalez wrote re: DDD: Download an eBook of the Series
on 02-16-2009 11:45 AM

Thanks for the ebook. It's nice to have all the posts in one place for easier reading.

Would you consider actually showing the urls in the reference section? It's kind of hard to click on a link when you've printed it out :-)

on 02-16-2009 12:56 PM

DDD/ALT.NET Casey has written a bunch more in his DDD series since my last update 4) DDD: There Is No Database 5) DDD: Command Query Separation as an Architectural Concept 6) DDD: Entities and Value Objects 7) DDD: Where is the Code? 8) DDD: Download

Jesper’s Bits and Pieces » Great series of blog entries on DDD wrote Jesper’s Bits and Pieces » Great series of blog entries on DDD
on 02-16-2009 2:47 PM

Pingback from  Jesper’s Bits and Pieces » Great series of blog entries on DDD

Casey Charlton - Insane World wrote DDD: Services
on 02-17-2009 4:38 PM

There can be no word more common in development, and no word used for such a multitude of different things

Community Blogs wrote DDD: Services
on 02-17-2009 4:44 PM

Casey Charlton - Insane World wrote DDD: What Kind of Applications Is It Suited To?
on 02-18-2009 2:20 PM

In many conversations, and in many comments here, you hear phrases like “well that’s not really suited

Community Blogs wrote DDD: What Kind of Applications Is It Suited To?
on 02-18-2009 2:39 PM

Casey Charlton - Insane World wrote DDD: The Repository Pattern
on 02-20-2009 3:30 AM

I seem to have taken a fairly long time to get here, and it has been mentioned in passing, but now we

Community Blogs wrote DDD: The Repository Pattern
on 02-20-2009 4:12 AM

Casey Charlton - Insane World wrote DDD: Living In The Enterprise
on 02-21-2009 4:25 AM

No, not that Enterprise! The other Enterprise – the big amorphous one that organisation spent a fortune

Community Blogs wrote DDD: Living In The Enterprise
on 02-21-2009 4:48 AM

Insane World wrote DDD: Living In The Enterprise
on 02-21-2009 10:42 AM

Insane World wrote DDD: The Repository Pattern
on 02-21-2009 10:42 AM

Simone wrote re: DDD: Download an eBook of the Series
on 02-21-2009 4:19 PM

Awesome... thanks a lot

DDD Step By Step wrote DDD: Aggregates and Aggregate Roots
on 02-22-2009 3:35 PM

DDD Step By Step wrote DDD: Services
on 02-22-2009 3:35 PM

DDD Step By Step wrote DDD: What Kind of Applications Is It Suited To?
on 02-22-2009 3:36 PM

DDD Step By Step wrote DDD: The Repository Pattern
on 02-22-2009 3:36 PM

DDD Step By Step wrote DDD: Living In The Enterprise
on 02-22-2009 3:37 PM

Maga wrote re: DDD: Download an eBook of the Series
on 02-26-2009 4:08 AM

Wouldn't be better to put the text which is in that pdf (saying that user downloaded wrong PDF) directly in above note?

Insane World wrote DDD: Living In The Enterprise