Is it always me that gets bizarre errors, or do you all get them and never post it on the Internet? I tried to install VS2008 on my nearly clean Windows 7 install on my 64 bit laptop. I have no idea why, but as VS was starting to install, before the product key, it dropped out with:

“A problem has been encountered while loading the setup components. Cancelling setup.”

I tried all the obvious, Run as Administrator, Compatibility Mode, etc etc … 40 minutes later trawling the Internet and generally cursing, I come across a window hidden behind a few others. It seems Windows 7 is good enough to know about this problem, but it failed to make me properly aware of it.

This helpful window contained the following (which also happened to solve the problem):

Solve a problem with Windows 7 beta

An issue with the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) client in Windows 7 beta is causing Explorer and some MSI-based installers to stop working properly.

To solve this problem, follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button , click All Programs, and then click Accessories.

2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes.

3. In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type or paste the following text at the prompt:

reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows\DisabledSessions /va /f

4. Press Enter to install the solution.

5. If The operation completed successfully displays, close the Administrator: Command Prompt window to complete this procedure. If "ERROR: Access is denied" displays, repeat this procedure from the top, making sure you clicked Run as administrator in step two.

Posted 01-28-2009 8:06 PM by Jak Charlton
Filed under: ,

Comments

jdn wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 01-28-2009 3:58 PM

That's a standard problem with Windows 7, not unique to VS 2008.  It was pretty widely reported.

Jak Charlton wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 01-28-2009 5:21 PM

Yeah, maybe, but not in any of the 10-15 apps I have so far installed - I just got lucky to date I guess

korn wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 02-03-2009 5:28 AM

i don t understand step 2

"In the User Account Control window, verify that Program name is Windows Command Processor, and then click Yes"

would anybody help me

Violet wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 02-03-2009 10:50 AM

I undertand everything, but when I go to regedit to see the complete path, I have nothing in DisabledSessions. Please, could you re-write the end of the path?

Thank you!

on 02-03-2009 11:37 AM

Sorry!!

/va /f aren't part of the path, are part of the command reg delete, isn't it?

Thank you!

Strale wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 02-06-2009 4:14 AM

Didn't help, although I am using win vista home premium....

Ofer Gal wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 02-21-2009 8:34 AM

I got it to install but most project templates are missing like windows form etc

Any idea?

on 02-21-2009 8:48 AM

Sorry, that one doesn't ring any bells - mine installed OK once I had used the advice above

Chris Boyd wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 05-06-2009 12:36 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Sabb wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 06-16-2009 11:57 PM

Worked @! Happy camper! Thank you!

Jim wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 09-01-2009 1:46 AM

This didn't work for me.  So if it doesn't try the solutions I came up with!  Here you go jim.mcaleerblog.com/.../212.

MoMoFo wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 09-03-2009 5:18 PM

worked great for me.  Thanks!!

M.D. wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 10-16-2009 4:37 PM

Thanks, this worked like a charm.

Windows 7 RTM(32 bit) fully updated, VS2008 in standard install mode.

Got a plethora of errors on initial install and after the reg fix it installed successfully

Wendy Faith Laymon wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 11-24-2009 11:27 AM

Thanks a ton, this worked like a charm. Looked all over the place for a solution to this. :)

Grant Steinfeld wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 12-01-2009 5:06 PM

Thanks, this works great, funny how an install software experience programme messes up an install, too bad it does not send the MESSAGE to MS testing group :)

Shiva wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 12-27-2009 11:59 AM

I am getting the follwoing error while installing Visual Studio 2008.

Error 1330.

A file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file F:\vs 2008\cab4.cab has an invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt.

Can any one please help?

Byro wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 01-13-2010 5:38 PM

I justs install Windows 7 family edition premium 64 (I previouly used vista 64) . When I tried to reinstall Visul Studio 2008 Standard Edition, I got the message :"Unable to lauch D:\Setup\setup.exe" is-it the same problem ( and solution ?)

Tomi R wrote re: Install Visual Studio 2008 on Windows 7 Crashes out Loading Installation Components
on 02-25-2010 1:06 PM

Thank you! I had this problem on Windows 7 Ultimate >>>>RTM<<<<< which is the latest release from MS Corp. Weir :/